Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Banff


Aug. 23 & 24, 2008

Banff Nat. Park

Cirque Peak trail, approx. 16k


Just a few metres short of 3,000...my record.

Parking lot overflowed to Crowfoot Glacier viewpoint...lots of hikers here



trail is wide, braided with lots of roots at the start

a bit steep until you're behind the ridge and into the meadows.

steep again beyond the ridge above Helen Lake

some streams for drinks

Helen Lake for a swim

my favorite-MARMOTS! Someone once thought I was a marmot.

if you love marmots, a leash might be an idea

I needed a boost over some boulders getting to the summit

3 paws





Bow Glacier Falls trail, approx 9k

level until past the gravel flats west of the lake

a leash would be good until you're past the lodge area

lots of nice swimming

rocky trail at the end

a refreshing shower awaits for those who need it

trail was muddy, my low slung belly got very dirty

2 paws







Parker Ridge trail, approx. 8k

start the hike by strolling into a meadow!
WINDY-screaming, howling, hair-raising, mind bending wind
We hid out in a stone shelter on the ridge to unfold the map
"W" let her hiking poles hang by the loops from her wrists. The wind blew them close to 45 degree angle. This is one time I was glad to be so low to the ground.

I didn't see goats, but I found a little clump of fur to play with as I huddled out of the wind.

trail is soft with lots of switchbacks. I found those confusing
no water
lots of people, bring a leash
"great photo ops", "A" went on and on about glaciers

2 paws




No comments: