Tuesday, November 25, 2008

In the Soup
















Anybody got a paddle I can borrow?

I'm up sh_t creek!

"W" was busy making soup in the kitchen. I did my doggie duty of vacuuming up the bits of leek, carrot and celery from the kitchen floor.

Rather than put the hot cooked soup in the fridge, she put it outside on the little table on the back deck to cool. It's darn cold out right now, so it would cool fast.

A little later I wandered out of the kitchen and stood looking out the window to the back deck. That's how I tell the humans I want to go outside. "W" opened the door to let me out and returned to cleaning up the kitchen.

I was sitting outside on the little table on the deck when she opened the door and found me. She scooped me up and hustled me into the house. She wrestled my lips apart and nearly stuck her nose into my mouth. "Ah ha! You've been eating meatballs from the soup." She set me down on the couch and went muttering back into the kitchen.

Later I hear her tell "A" that my breath smelled like nutmeg. Guess that was the give away. Drats.

Here is the recipe in case you want to try it out...It'll mask doggie breath.

Dutch Meatball Soup

1 litre of beef stock

about 3-4 cups water

3 leeks (white and light green parts chopped)

1 1/2 c. each of celery and carrots chopped

1 lb ground beef

1/2 c dry breadcrumbs

2 Tbsp parsley

salt and pepper

1 1/2 tsp nutmeg (or more)

1 cup fine egg noodles

1 Tbsp soy sauce

1 Tbsp Worchestershire sauce

In a large pot boil together beef stock, water, leeks, celery and carrots. Cook about 30 min.

Make small meatballs-mix beef, breadcrumbs, a bit of the parsley, salt, pepper, nutmeg. Put meatballs into hot soup and simmer about 15 min.

Add noodles and cook 8 min. Stir in soy sauce and Worchestershire sauce and the rest of the parsley.

No comments: