Sunday, September 20, 2009

morning

Morning is my favorite time of day. I like to get up before the alarm goes off, usually around 5:oo am. Since the humans are still asleep, I get to wake them up!

First I unravel myself from my fuzzy blanket at the foot of the bed. I stretch like a cat, have a yawn and shake the sleep out of my head. I jump onto the sleeping body of victim number one and, with careful balance, make my way to his head. Now I wash his face. I begin by licking his lips for him. Then I clean out his eyes. From there I give his nose a wipe and before I know it he is grabbing me in a playful bear hug. I find myself being whisked off the bed and into the dark.

Once I get in from the backyard, I can count on a cookie. While the coffee beans are being ground, I track down my lost toys and my bully stick. But wait. There is still something missing. While the coffee drips into the pot, I prance down the shadowy hallway to the bedroom. Sure enough, there is the missing human. I whine and whine and scratch at the bed. I bring my ball and try to engage her in a game of fetch. I whine and whine and soon a hand drops down over the edge of the bed. I kiss the hand and give some little love nips. Next thing I know the legs and feet appear and she is getting into her slippers.

I can now relax and have my morning chew while the humans yawn and drink coffee. The world is in order and we can get on with the new day.

No comments: